Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday's Hymn: Jesus Lives and So Shall I

Jesus lives, and so shall I.
Death! thy sting is gone forever!
He who deigned for me to die,
Lives, the bands of death to sever.
He shall raise me from the dust:
Jesus is my Hope and Trust.

Jesus lives, and reigns supreme,
And, his kingdom still remaining,
I shall also be with him,
Ever living, ever reigning.
God has promised: be it must:
Jesus is my Hope and Trust.

Jesus lives, and by his grace,
Vict'ry o'er my passions giving,
I will cleanse my heart and ways,
Ever to his glory living.
Me he raises from the dust.
Jesus is my Hope and Trust.

Jesus lives, I know full well
Nought from him my heart can sever,
Life nor death nor powers of hell,
Joy nor grief, hence forth forever.
None of all his saints is lost;
Jesus is my Hope and Trust.

Jesus lives, and death is now
But my entrance into glory.
Courage, then, my soul, for thou
Hast a crown of life before thee;
Thou shalt find thy hopes were just;
Jesus is the Christian's Trust.

Christian F. Gellert, 1757

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tremendous hymn of truth and trust! I've never heard it before and I thank you for sharing it.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

This is the one I enjoyed singing this morning!

(Actually, I enjoyed them all, but I like this one in the traditional melody rather than the updated one we used to sing.)

Anonymous said...

I've never sung this hymn before though it's in the hymn book I use, I'm practising the tune so I can sing it, the words are great.

Leland Bryant Ross said...

I love this series, and this hymn, and am glad you're doing this Dorothy. But where's Sunday, July 6?

Leland aka Haruo