Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chew on This: Psalm 4

1)Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
2O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach?
How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? Selah.
3But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself;
The LORD hears when I call to Him.
4Tremble, and do not sin;
Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
5Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And trust in the LORD.
6Many are saying, "Who will show us any good?"
Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O LORD!
7You have put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
8In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.

The first thought I had upon reading this psalm was in relation to the phrase "Oh God of my righteousness!" He surely is God of my righteousness! I have not one iota of righteousness of my own. All that is credited to me in the way of righteousness comes from Him through Christ and that surely is "relief in distress." So since He has such an interest, such a stake, in me why would I ever doubt that He would hear my prayer? Why do I worry so about the uncertainties of life?

Similarly, in verse 2, any honor I have is from God but that is a reproach in the eyes of the world. Something to mock and laugh at while they love what is worthless and deceptive.

But I belong to God who hears when I call. That's the God of the universe I belong to! Think about that and tremble before Him, I tell myself. I offer my obedience, poor as it is, and trust in Him.

The light of the face of God shines on me! That gives me more gladness, more pleasure to contemplate than any earthly affluence. My complete sense of safety is dependent only on Him. And I am His. I can rest completely in that knowledge.

For me, a sinner prone to worry excessively, I can draw comfort, oh so much comfort, in the words of this psalm of David!

One last thought about the references to lying in bed. In verse 4, the psalmist says, "Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still." And in verse 8, "In peace I will both lie down and sleep, For You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety." These references make me think of the way worries become magnified at night when I go to bed and lay there thinking of all the concerns of the day. It can make me restless and far from sleep, for sure! But my only safety in all situations comes from the Lord. In Him, I can not only lie down, but also sleep in peace, turning all concerns over to Him, remembering that in Him is my safety, my security.

Dear Father, I am ashamed of all the times I do worry about all kinds of earthly concerns and forget where my only safety is. I ask your forgiveness and I thank you for the peace that only comes from knowing You.

Leslie at Light Came, invites us to share our meditations on this psalm. Read what she and others say and then share your thoughts as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read your meditations on this Psalm. There's so much in it, isn't there; filled with the goodness and grace of the Lord to us!

Lisa Hellier said...

Many nights I have comforted myself or rather been comforted by the whispering of God's Word as I remembered memorized Bible verses. He gives sweet rest to His children. His truth is the lullaby of peace.

Great chewing.

Anonymous said...

Your meditation blessed me this evening. Praise the Lord for his special care and grace!