Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday's Hymn: Jesus, Saviour, Pilot Me

Jesus, Saviour, pilot me
Over life's tempestuous sea;
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treach'rous shoal;
Chart and compass came from thee:
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me.

As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boist'rous waves obey thy will
When thou sayest to them, "Be still."
Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me.

When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
'Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
Then, while leaning on thy breast,
May I hear thee say to me,
"Fear not, I will pilot thee."

Edward Hopper, 1871
Tune: Pilot, John E. Gould, 1871

1 comment:

rosemary said...

"Life's tempestuous sea" is certainly an accurate metaphor! I'm thankful for our Savior's "Be still."

My sister and I used to sing this as a duet in church, many years ago!