Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday's Hymn: I Lay My Sins on Jesus

I lay my sins on Jesus,
The spotless Lamb of God;
He bears them all, and frees us
From the accursed load:
I bring my guilt to Jesus,
To wash my crimson stains
White in his blood most precious,
Till not a spot remains.

I lay my wants on Jesus;
All fullness dwells in him;
He heals all my diseases,
He doth my soul redeem:
I lay my griefs on Jesus,
My burdens and my cares;
He from them all releases,
He all my sorrows shares.

I rest my soul on Jesus,
This weary soul of mine;
His right hand me embraces,
I on his breast recline.
I love the Name of Jesus,
Immanuel, Christ, the Lord;
Like fragrance on the breezes
His Name abroad is poured.

I long to be like Jesus,
Meek, loving, lowly, mild;
I long to be like Jesus,
The Father's holy Child;
I long to be with Jesus
Amid the heav'nly throng,
To sing with saints his praises,
To learn the angels' song.

Horatius Bonar, 1848
Tune: Miriam, Joseph P. Holbrook, 1865

3 comments:

ellen b. said...

Both you and Rosemary posted at Bonar hymn. This one has great words, too.
Blessings.

rosemary said...

So thankful that we can lay our sins and wants and souls on Jesus and receive his rest and peace in return!

Are we twins? At the very least, we're like-minded!

AuntE said...

Thank you, Dorothy, for posting these words. I do love this hymn but have not sung it for several years. It was good to have it brought to mind.