Field Stone Cottage Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tagged Again!

Kim just tagged me for a new meme. Well, actually its an old meme from before my time...my time of having a blog, that is. I'm sure lots of you will recognize it though, and it just so happens that its also reading related. Its the Bookworm Meme!
  1. Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? Hardback is always nicest but sometimes price is a consideration, you know. And if you can accept paperbacks, you can get more books per dollar so I mostly do!
  2. Online purchase or bricks and mortar? Online mostly. Often what I want is not in the bricks and mortar store and with online, I can shop for price more efficiently too. Plus I can peruse my wish list and update it and change it and dream over it any time I want to!
  3. Barnes and Noble or Borders? Usually not either one. I shop used as much as I can on Amazon or ebay or wherever. Even if I am going new, its not likely they will have the cheapest price, in my experience. Or the books I want.
  4. Bookmark or dog ear? Bookmark, always! One of my Bookworm Bookmarks, to be precise.
  5. Mark or not mark? I used to never mark in any book. Heaven forbid! But that was a long time ago...or it seems like it. Now I mark to my heart's content in non-fiction but rarely in fiction.
  6. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? I organize my book shelves by subject or category and within that, by size. But within a category or subject, all the books by the same author go together. It makes sense to me.
  7. Keep, throw away or sell? Usually keep but occasionally sell. Never throw away!
  8. Keep dust jacket or toss it? Keep it, always!
  9. Read with dust jacket or remove it? Usually remove it but sometimes I am so anxious to start reading that I forget.
  10. Short story or novel? Definitely a novel!
  11. Collection (short stories by the same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)? I'm generally not a fan of short stories.
  12. Lord of the Rings or Narnia? Here's my confession. I've never read Lord of the Rings! I can hear you gasp but its true. When I was younger, I really did not like what I considered fantasy and as I've gotten older there just always seems to be something more pressing that I want to read.
  13. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? Chapter breaks if at all possible!
  14. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "once upon a time?" "It was a dark and stormy night." Its so much less predictable.
  15. Buy or borrow? I use the library when possible, sometimes making requests that go outside the "system" or I do borrow from friends. Kim, especially! But once I realize that I want to own the book, I set about buying it!
  16. New or used? Used in good condition is fine with me. You can buy more books that way! But I don't want to buy someone else's marked up copy. Too distracting.
  17. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? I've done all three but I love to browse and find an unexpected treasure.
  18. Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Tidy ending, definitely! I hate a cliffhanger!!
  19. Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading? Yes. All three or whenever I can.
  20. Standalone or series? Both. I do love a good series but I also think that the very best books are generally one of a kind.
  21. Favorite series? I really like The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I usually read one just once a year while we are on vacation. Those books just induce a relaxed sense of simplicity in me.
  22. Favorite book of which no one else has heard? The Three Day Promise by Donald K. Chung. Its the memoir of a Korean man attempting to fulfill the promise he made as a youth to his mother to return in three days when they were then separated by the Korean War. Maybe others have heard of it by now but at the time I read it, it was self-published and fairly obscure.
  23. Favorite books read last year? Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer and Luther: Man Between God and the Devil by Heiko Augustinus Oberman.
  24. Favorite book of all time? Little Women by Louisa May Alcott maybe. Or maybe Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Or Knowing God by J.I. Packer. That's just too hard of a question. I love so many books.
Anyone else not done this meme? Consider yourself tagged then! Just let me know in the comments if you do it so I can come visit and read your responses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Lord of the Rings either, I've tried but never got further than the third chapter,Jonathan reckons I really ought to persist, I've concluded it's just not me.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Thanks for playing, Dorothy!

No surprises here. I thought maybe there might be, but I guess we've discussed books enough times and know each other so well that there are no (book) surprises left!

Islandsparrow said...

My meme is up (the first one) whoah! it took a little time - i kept finding lists...

Anonymous said...

I reluctantly started reading Lord of the Rings when I was almost 40, and was surprised when I actually enjoyed it.

Anna said...

That is lovely!