Field Stone Cottage Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Swiss Potato Pancakes


I just had these pancakes for the first time a couple of weeks ago when visiting my sister, Mary, in Portland, Oregon. A birthday brunch for my nephew, David, was the occasion but I wouldn't wait for a special celebration to fix a batch. They are different but a definite winner in my book!

Let's get started:
4 medium size potatoes, peeled, shredded and well drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded swiss cheese
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Heat enough oil to just cover bottom of large, heavy skillet, adding oil as needed to fry pancakes. Drop (this is the hard part) 1/4 cup batter into hot oil to form 4 inch pancake. Cook over medium high heat till golden brown and crisp on both sides. Serve immediately with chilled applesauce.

6 comments:

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

My husband would die for these - he LOVES sweet potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining in - these sound great.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Are they as good as the potato pancakes we had when we went to see "Little Women?" I think I'd serve them with sour creme.

I think that since we are soon to be armed with new breakfast recipes, we need to plan to keep the Town Hall for a couple of extra hours some Sunday morning and all stay for brunch, don't you?

Dorothy said...

These pancakes are even better, Kim, if you can believe it! Sour cream WITH the applesauce would be wonderful!

And yes, yes to brunch after church some Sunday morning!! Too bad the whole recipe roundup bunch can't be there too...

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds good and your new header is wonderful!!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I made these as a side dish tonight for supper and they were very good! They make a LOT, though. I'll have to figure out a way to cut the recipe in half.