Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday's Hymn: Father, I Know That All My LIfe

Father, I know that all my life
Is portioned out for me;
The changes that are sure to come,
I do not fear to see:
I ask thee for a present mind,
Intent on pleasing thee.

I would not have the restless will
That hurries to and fro,
Seeking for some great thing to do,
Or secret thing to know;
I would be treated as a child,
And guided where I go.

I ask thee for the daily strength,
To none that ask denied,
A mind to blend with outward life,
While keeping at thy side,
Content to fill a little space,
If thou be glorified.

In service which thy will appoints
There are no bonds for me;
My secret heart is taught the truth
That makes thy children free;
A life of self-renouncing love
Is one of liberty.

Anna L. Waring, 1850
Tune: Morwellham, Charles Steggall, 1826-1905

2 comments:

ellen b. said...

What a great hymn. I love all these requests especially "I ask thee for a present mind, intent on pleasing thee."

rosemary said...

Oh, may God make these words a reality in my life!