Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tall Ships

Friday we celebrated getting the hard work done on the rental by enjoying an outing to Port Washington, WI to see the tall ships there as part of the Maritime Heritage Festival. The forecast was for overcast skies with a 40% chance of thunderstorms but we set out hoping that the 60% chance of no T-storms would prevail. Here's what things looked like upon our arrival:

We proceeded to check in with the tall ship that we were scheduled to sail on at 10:00 AM only to discover that there was some sort of misunderstanding between the crew of the ship and the people in charge at the marina resulting in a missing boarding ramp. By the time that was resolved and we boarded (about 45 minutes late), the sky looked more like this:

Oh, and the ship we sailed on? It was the Roseway, the last working pilot schooner in this country. She retired from that service in 1973 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997. She now serves as the educational vessel of the World Ocean School, a nonprofit organization. Here's a picture of her taken during the cruise after ours:

The other ship that was available for cruising was the Lynx. The Lynx is a replica of an 1812 naval schooner and is owned and operated by the Lynx Educational Foundation, another nonprofit educational foundation. Their mission is to to teach about America's struggle to preserve her freedom.

There was some difficulty for these ships in negotiating off the docks and proceeding out into Lake Michigan (and back in) because of the amount of draft they need and the restrictions caused by a rocky jetty at the mouth of the harbor. They both had rubber dinghies to assist them in these maneuvers but doesn't it look like the Lynx is about to be boarded by pirates?

Maybe that's why this shot was fired a little while later!

There were more tall ships to be toured as well, including one billed as a "mystery ship." But this post is getting rather long so I think I'll just leave that one as a mystery for today and show you the pictures of it tomorrow. Happy sailing!


Kim from Hiraeth said...

All the photos are great but I LOVE the foggy one. You can almost imagine Captain Jack Sparrow at the helm!

ellen b. said...

What beautiful ships! How cool to be able to see them and take a little voyage. :0)

Rosemary said...

We used to live in Port Washington, and hope to return one day, the Lord willing.

The ships are wonderful. It must have been fun to sail on one of them. Thanks for sharing your great pictures with us.

Dorothy said...

Rosemary, we all agreed that Port Washington looked like a wonderful place to live! I hope the Lord brings you back there too. You'd be only two hours from me!

Rosemary said...

Two hours? That would be just delightful!