Field Stone Cottage Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday's Hymn: Before Thee, God, Who Knowest All

Before thee, God, who knowest all,
With grief and shame I prostrate fall.
I see my sins against thee, Lord,
The sins of thought, of deed, and word.
They press me sore: I cry to thee:
O God, be merciful to me!

O Lord, my God, to thee I pray:
O cast me not in wrath away!
Let thy good Spirit ne'er depart,
But let him draw to thee my heart
That truly penitent I be:
O God, be merciful to me!

O Jesus, let thy precious blood
Be to my soul a cleansing flood.
Turn not, O Lord, thy guest away,
But grant that justified I may
Go to my house at peace with thee:
O God, be merciful to me!

Magnus B. Landstad, 1861
Tr. by Carl Doving, 1909
Tune: The Lord's Prayer (Vater Unser), Schumann's Gesangbuch, 1539

4 comments:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

This hymn reminds me of a Sproul series I'm listening to on Repentance based on Psalm 51. A really good series of lectures. If you ever want to borrow it, just let me know.

WhiteStone said...

Thank you for this morning's hymn. I read it with the music link.

rosemary said...

I'm so glad for the truth in these words, for the wonderful mercy of God.

ellen b. said...

What a great hymn of repentance and forgiveness. Have a great Sunday Dorothy!